- Application: Coatings for Aluminum Roll / Coil
- Product Name: A Polyester Resin Coated Aluminum Roll / Coil Factory
- Location: Shandong Province, China
- Problem: Company C uses an international brand of hydrophobic fumed silica 972, but the price is high. They want to find a substitute product with good quality and a competitive price.
Coil coating is mostly applied by roller, which requires low viscosity, settle resistance, and good thixotropic performance. Fumed silica can meet all these needs.
Coil coating is generally divided into PE system, epoxy system, and acrylic system. PE and acrylic products take up 90%, of which PE is 60%.
- Dimethyldichlorosilane/DDS-treated fumed silica applies well for polyester resin coatings, such as HIFULL HB-151 or HB-152.
- Hexamethyldisilazane/ HMDS-treated fumed silica applies well for acrylic coatings, such as HIFULL HB-620.
- Polydimethylsiloxane /PDMS-treated fumed silica applies well for epoxy coatings, such as HIFULL HB-139.
Company C tested HIFULL HB-151 to replace the international one. Results show that thixotropic property is not as good, but over-all performance good enough to replace. When rolling the color, HIFULL HB-151 one is slightly white in color-intensity, but company C is fine with that. HIFULL HB-151 hydrophobic fumed silica is a cost-effective choice with quality.